Real Estate Acquisition
Non-citizens can acquire real estate under the following circumstances:
- Purchase within an Integrated Resort Scheme (IRS);
- Purchase within a Real Estate Scheme (RES);
- Purchase within a Property Development Scheme (PDS);
- Purchase within a Smart City Scheme (SCS);
- Purchase of an apartment in a building of not less than two floors (ground +2) at a minimum price of MUR 6 million.*
The acquisition of real estate by non-citizens cannot be done outside the scope of those 5 schemes save for an exceptional exemption provided by the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO). Acquiring real estate under those first 4 schemes grants the right of residence to the acquirer and his / her dependants with certain conditions, namely:
- An investment of at least 500 000 USD in the villa;
- The age of the dependents in respect of dependent children.
Navitas advises foreigners on the best structures to put in place concerning the purchase of their real estate in Mauritius. Furthermore, Navitas can put you in contact with promoters in Mauritius depending on your real estate preference.
It is very important to note that the residence obtained through purchase of real estate is not a work or occupational permit and that a separate permit is needed to engage in any other business activity in Mauritius.
* Does not give right of residence.